Senior Vice-President, Self-Help Federal Credit Union
Full-time exempt, California (Oakland preferred)
Self-Help Federal Credit Union seeks a proven leader with a deep commitment to social and economic justice, a preference for a diverse, inclusive and collaborative workplace, and experience in credit unions, banking, lending, and/or other community development operations. Self-Help Federal Credit Union (SHFCU), a leading Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) has been expanding rapidly, both in California and nationally. Its management structure is also evolving as part of the larger Self-Help family of organizations based in Durham, NC. The Senior Vice-President will manage a group of the organization’s California-based Team Leaders, and as part of the SHFCU Leadership Caucus participate in leading the organization’s growth and development. Based on a candidate’s experience, the functional areas the SVP will oversee is somewhat flexible and will likely change with time as SHFCU continues to grow. Initially, we currently expect this position to oversee branch operations in the Bay Area, operational training, and marketing and communications. Oakland is the preferred location, but other Bay Area and California locations are possible.
- Lead, coach and supervise Team Leaders and assigned teams, with a focus on strategic thinking, staff development and driving performance.
- Help to develop, evaluate and implement organizational strategy, including growth and innovation. Contribute to building Self-Help’s presence in and contribution to the community development movement in California.
- With others, effectively coordinate resources across teams.
- Ensure strong internal and external customer service and support from assigned teams, working with leaders across the organization to ensure effective collaboration across teams.
- Communicate and model behavior in order to promote mission and culture alignment, drive goals and policies, and effectively address areas of concern and conflict.
- Evaluate and manage risk within assigned teams, facilitating solutions to increase effectiveness and mitigate organizational risk.
- Provide leadership and expertise on special projects as requested.
- Strong commitment to our mission – creating economic opportunity for traditionally underserved communities – and a desire to work actively in such communities
- Strong cultural competency and a preference for working in organizations that value diversity, teamwork and collaboration
- At least fifteen years of relevant experience (at least 10+ management) with a financial institution or comparable organization, with a preference for experience within Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs)
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice and a track record of providing strategic leadership to an organization or business unit
- Sincere commitment to staff development and active management of staff and business units
- Excellent outreach and organizing ability. Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Sensitivity to issues of low-wealth borrowers and communities, and a desire to work in a diverse and inclusive organization
- Exhibits the following Self-Help leadership competencies:
- Mission, culture and core values fit
- High Emotional Intelligence: team and people skills, self-awareness, etc.
- Relevant technical and strategic skills and problem solving capability
- Cultural competence and inclusion
- Persuasion and negotiation skills
- Undergraduate degree preferred; relevant graduate degree a plus. Neither is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Close vision is required.
- Employee is regularly required to: sit; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- Employee is frequently required to type and use a keyboard.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Ability to drive and otherwise travel, throughout California and elsewhere
About Self-Help Federal
Self-Help Federal is part of the Self-Help family of non-profit organizations with a common mission and leadership. Over its 38-year history, Self-Help has learned that access to responsible savings, loans, and transactions is key to financial security, family health, and improved opportunity for low-income families. In total, the Self-Help family of non-profit organizations is more than 147,000 members strong and has delivered $8.3 billion in financing to help over 165,000 low-wealth borrowers buy homes, start and build businesses, and strengthen community resources, across the United States.
To learn more, please visit our websites at www.self-helpfcu.org and www.self-help.org.
Competitive nonprofit salary, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, flexible spending plan, retirement plan, and paid parental leave.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter, describing why you believe you are a good fit for this position, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “SVP” in the subject line of your message. The position will remain posted until filled.
We are an equal-opportunity employer
Self-Help is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, class, age, religion, disability that can be accommodated, marital status (including domestic partner status), ancestry, nationality, national origin, religion (and lack thereof), family status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), other medical condition and/or disability: physical or mental, AIDS/HIV status, genetic information, sexual identity, gender identification (including transgender status), sexual orientation, political activities or affiliations, and veteran status.
For More Information, Visit: www.self-helpfcu.org/who-we-are/resources/careers