Westside Children’s Center (WCC) exists to give at-risk children and children living in poverty the foundation they need to increase their life choices and lead fulfilling lives. For over 25 years, WCC has been providing thousands of at-risk children and their families with critical, high-quality early education programs (including comprehensive Early Head Start services), family strengthening interventions, foster care and adoption services, and a range of vital, integrated services, including educational assessments, disabilities screenings, nutrition, dental and vision screenings, and pediatric health consultations.
In an effort to promote healthy families and safe communities, WCC is dedicated to assisting families with their housing and early education needs. The Family Resource Specialist – Housing & Early Education, is the agency’s key point of contact for all client housing needs. This role will: develop community relationships and identify potential sources of housing support for families; provide housing expertise/consultation to other WCC staff; develop relationships with other early childhood care providers and assist families in finding early education spots in the community if needed; work collaboratively with community partners; and provide limited direct case navigation services. As needed, the FRS participates in coordination of family events and conducts community outreach.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Act as the key point of contact for all WCC client housing needs
- Assess housing barriers of families experiencing homelessness to determine housing and service needs
- Assist families in locating and securing housing of their choice
- Provide linkage and warm hand off to agencies that operate housing programs
- Assist WCC team members (family resource specialists/case navigators/managers/IHOCs
- EHS ERSEA/home educators/etc.) in finding appropriate, affordable housing for their caseload
- Identify, build, and nurture network of affordable housing opportunities
- Develop community relationships and identify potential sources of housing support for families
- Provide training to families pertaining to tenant rights and managing their finances
- Identify, build and nurture network of early education settings to assist families in need for childcare
SECONDARY JOB DUTIES:
- Provide limited case navigation services to clients in the Prevention and Aftercare program and associated activities including conducting intake, developing service plan, administering outcome measures, and progress notes
- Attend staff meetings, individual and group supervision, case reviews, and trainings as needed
- Collaborate with key partner agencies for referrals, and parental support; ensure successful partnership and documentation of outcomes
- Maintain confidentiality of clients and obtain and maintain on file legal releases of information when needed
- Comply with all applicable federal, state and county regulations, policies and procedures
- Staff must believe in and act in accordance with both the agency’s and the program’s mission statements
- In accordance with our “team” philosophy, the person filling this position may occasionally be required to carry out or assist with other tasks in addition to the duties listed on this job description.
QUALIFICATIONS & EDUCATION:
- Bachelors’ in Social Work, Psychology, Special Education or a related field
- 2 years’ experience working with Children and Families
- Bilingual – English/Spanish required
- Strong knowledge of community resources pertaining to housing for low income families
- Ability to work in a supportive team environment
- Ability to work and communicate with a diverse group of families
- Experience with community outreach, event organizing, working with families and children in a community setting preferred
- Requires a high level of creativity, resourcefulness and flexibility
- Knowledge of child abuse/neglect prevention
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Home visitation experience desired
- Knowledge of community resources and experience with interagency collaboration preferred
- Ability to work independently, flexible, strong organizational skills, and commitment to teamwork
- Basic computer skills required – Word, Excel, Software applications
- Passionate about learning and possesses curiosity about issues affecting children and families
- All employees, regardless of position, serve as role models for children and families who are served by our agency.
- Fingerprint background clearance (DOJ, FBI & Child Abuse Clearance Index), or approved exemption
- Successful completion of pre-employment physical and PPD risk assessment
- Class “C” driver’s license, proof of insurance, a safety record acceptable to CAA, and reliable transportation required
Full benefits package offered including employer contribution to: Health, Dental, Vision; 401k with employer match; Employee Assistance Program, Professional Development, sick leave, vacation, personal days for anniversary of employment and birthday.
Westside Children’s Center is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants and seeks to hire qualified staff who reflect the rich diversity of the communities we serve. We define diversity in broad terms to include race, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, geography, socio-economic status and other unique attributes that make us who we are.
Westside Children’s Center has achieved accreditation through the Council on Accreditation (COA). This means our programs, services, administration, and management have been rigorously evaluated and meet best practice standards. Visit www.COAnet.org to learn more about COA Accreditation.
For More Information, Visit: westsidechildren.org/